BBC News - World BBC News - World
- Germany elections: Merkel backs 'bridge-builder' Laschet as successoron September 25, 2021 at 5:40 pm
The outgoing leader strongly endorses her party's candidate Armin Laschet in an unusually tight race.
- Canary Islands: Airport closed as volcano intensifieson September 25, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Hundreds of homes have been destroyed on the Spanish island since the eruption began on Sunday.
- ICYMI: Taxi gardens and Egypt's pharaohs on a pencilon September 25, 2021 at 3:37 pm
Abandoned taxis being used to grow vegetables and other stories you may have missed this week.
- Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou freed by Canada arrives home in Chinaon September 25, 2021 at 2:36 pm
Two Canadians detained by China are also freed, bringing to an end a three-year diplomatic row.
- Afghanistan: Taliban hang bodies as warning in city of Herat, say reportson September 25, 2021 at 2:33 pm
The alleged kidnappers are reportedly hung in public, a day after a warning executions would resume.
- Somalia: Seven killed in suicide attack near presidential palaceon September 25, 2021 at 12:31 pm
The Islamist militant group Al-Shabab has claimed responsibility for the attack in Mogadishu.
- Quad countries vow to work for freedom in regionon September 25, 2021 at 6:29 am
The leaders of the US, Japan, India and Australia also launched a new climate initiative at the US summit.
- German elections 2021: Simple guide to vote ending Merkel eraon September 25, 2021 at 5:47 am
Germans are choosing a new government on Sunday. This is how the vote works.
- Actor Michael K Williams died of accidental drug overdose, coroner confirmson September 25, 2021 at 5:00 am
The actor died after overdosing on a combination of fentanyl, p-fluorofentanyl, heroin and cocaine.
- Music company buys NFT of 'Side-eyeing Chloe' memeon September 25, 2021 at 4:52 am
The image of two-year-old Chloe Clem making a disapproving face was auctioned in cryptocurrency.
- Gambia's Jammeh pact bombshell: Treachery or reconciliation?on September 25, 2021 at 2:55 am
A political pact that could see the return of Gambia's exiled ex-President Jammeh proves divisive.
- Sustainable fashion: From the red carpet to our wardrobes?on September 25, 2021 at 12:06 am
Hannah Peel wore a sustainable dress to the Mercury Awards - but is the fashion industry changing?
- La Palma volcano: Visual guide to what happenedon September 25, 2021 at 12:01 am
A series of maps and charts explaining what happened after an eruption in the Spanish Canary Islands.
- Climate change: Whisper it cautiously... there's been progress in run up to COP26on September 24, 2021 at 11:55 pm
Pledges made at the UN have lifted hopes for the Glasgow summit, but some major questions remain.
- Switzerland to hold referendum on same-sex marriageon September 24, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Voters in Switzerland go to the polls this Sunday to decide whether to allow same-sex marriage.
- Attacked by a hyena: My advice for a fellow victimon September 24, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Nine-year-old Rodwell Nkomazana lost an eye, his nose, and his upper lip when he was mauled by a hyena.
- Ros Atkins On… Germany’s election explainedon September 24, 2021 at 11:18 pm
Ros Atkins explains how Germany’s election works, the candidates and the issues at stake.
- Afghanistan: Inside the prison staffed by former inmates released by the Talibanon September 24, 2021 at 11:18 pm
The BBC's Jeremy Bowen goes inside Kabul's main jail, where former Taliban inmates are now caretakers.
- Meng Wanzhou: The PowerPoint that sparked an international rowon September 24, 2021 at 8:53 pm
After three years, Huawei's chief financial officer has a US extradition request against her dropped.
- R. Kelly trial: A look at the key moments as jury deliberateson September 24, 2021 at 7:15 pm
The five-week trial heard harrowing details of abuse and assault. Here are the key moments.